If you really want to start a business your way without a boss or professional investor hovering over you, then just fund it yourself or through friends and family, and grow it organically. It is more possible to bootstrap today than a few years ago, as the cost of entry continues to go down. According to many experts, over 90 percent of successful businesses currently start this way.
- Start your business in your own home.
- Barter services for access to required resources.
- Learn to be a generalist rather than a specialist.
- Operate small, but show a big-company image.
- Practice living on a shoestring budget.
- Favor profitability over revenue and user growth.
- Use your equity for key executives and business partners.
- Don’t assume you must plan for exponential growth.